Can our party pick your brain?

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Feb 16 00:32:22 EST 2011

Welcome to the list Kevin,

Without slighting the aims of your initiative, I doubt that a
political party is a feasible vehicle for achieving them.  Maybe I'm
wrong here, but I disagree with Rohan.  I don't think it can work, at
least not in that form.

A party candidate must first win office, if I understand.  Let's say
she is elected to Queen's Park where she sits as an MPP for one of the
Toronto ridings.  Suppose that a particular issue subsequently arises
in the legislature, and the party members reach a rough consensus on a
course of action.  The MPP is now expected to follow that course of
action?  Is that how it should work?