[MG] Setting up a prize for completing parts of the technology

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Apr 26 17:16:12 EDT 2011

+1 Matteo, a prize could give us a real boost.

One possible problem: Setting a specific task might not mesh well with
free software.  Ordinarily developers are free to do their own thing.
Maybe the judges (whoever they are) could decide not only the
recipient of the prize, but also the reason.  (Like with the Nobel
committee, for example, they don't set a target in advance.)

A suggestion: Float the award mechanism - the rules about how the
prize is awarded - as a poll to which everyone is invited.  That way
the prize money could do double duty, attracting not only developers
but also users (and with that, possibly more prize money).

I agree with Thomas, don't restict it to Votorola developers.  I
wouldn't even restrict it to developers.  There are many ways to help
- present case in point - and we need good people of all kinds. :-)

Very promising!