[MG] Votespace social map

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Thu Apr 14 09:20:20 EDT 2011

Hey guys,

> http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/crossforum/vote/_/3.xht

I like mockup II very much! If this is possible to code, then we will
have something very impressive, I feel!
How do you think: if we climb up the tree, does the map pan the new node
into the centre of the screen? It must, right? Because it may happen,
that you go south 5 levels. Thats too much for the screen then, right?

With panning we can create (use) endless amounts of space. We
theoretically wouldnt even need to overlap at all (like currently in the
picture linked above). The smaller angle for the 20 voters of Fr. could
be compensated with a longer radius. ... just to mention.

Another version of creating endless amount of space would be zoom,
though. With it something like here becomes possible too, i.e. full
circles of sub-voters, right?:

http://www.visualcomplexity.com/vc/project_details.cfm?id=744&index=744&domain=

One would just zoom in deeper and deeper. And like in this picuture and
like proposed before by The_User in the chat, we could have 2 circles
around the centre, which would give us even more space. Would voters
feel bad, if they were positioned in the second row for no obvious
reason? (BTW, is sorting of voters by number of votes like in the
current vote-space theoretically still possible or not?)
But with the zoom we would loose some of the oversight, or not?
Just an idea, I dont know, what is better. What do you think?

> A poster in #metagov (The User) came up with a similar idea.
>      http://zelea.com/var/cache/irc/metagov/11-04/12
>
>      In addition, he suggested reserving abandoned slots in case their
>      voters return.

Yes, perfect!