[MG] Ease of entry

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Sat Apr 2 12:10:18 EDT 2011

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 14:10, Michael Allan wrote:

>> I'm really excited about it.
> It might be a good idea if we were stuck, at some point.  It would buy
> us more space, at the cost of added complexity to access the controls
> vs. the sidebar (or vice versa).  But for now, I think we have enough
> space to do what's needed.
>
> People may want to put more stuff into these draft pages in future,
> but I think they'll be fighting an uphill battle.  The rationale of
> the architecture demands that functional additions to the component
> media - drafting, voting, discussion - be deployed externally in
> common bridges, umbrellas, what have you that impact on those media
> with a light touch.  Every exception to that rule fights against the
> openness of the architecture by making it harder to add new
> components, such as alternative drafting, voting and discussion tools.
> It's this rationale that gave us the difference bridge in the first
> place, and later crossforum theatre.

But you want to keep the footings in the drafting medium anyway, dont
you? I do. And if yes, I'd like it as conviniant as possible. Default
would be the tool-menue open (nobody needs the left wiki-menue anyway)
so almost no added complexity. Its not a top-priority, but I imagined it
to be relly easy to do.

> Then you can't click twice to undo an off-click on the origin (4c.).
> The footprint vanishes, and clicking again does not bring it back. (!)

Yes, it doesnt bring it back, because it shows the footprint of 4c.
then, which equals no footprint. Thats perfectly logical!

> If I'd done that in the first place, you
> would never have noticed. ;-)

Maybe I would have, because it costs time to search for the one fixed
user, after I browsed through all the different footprints (through
hovering) and then wanted to get rid of them again and look at the
original text ... the text of 4c. Its very intuitive to click on 4c if I
want to see 4c.