Domain specific language (DSL)

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Sat Oct 16 08:32:45 EDT 2010

On 16 October 2010 11:16, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:

> David Bovill wrote:
>
> I don't recommend installing Votorola until you know for certain that
> you'll be modifying the code.

I'm not certain about anything :) But in an uncertain world you have to
sometimes take the plunge. I am certain that it is a good idea to try to get
a few people working technically on the same server, in the same area, even
if they just work on their own projects. So getting up a proper server seems
like a good start. It is set up for super easy installs of MediaWiki anyway,
and this installation can be scripted, so this may prove useful at some
stage.

> You'd need Linux, Java 6, Tomcat

OK

> Perl 5,

What tweeks use this lovely obfuscated language :)

Reasons to use GIT - http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=git%2C+mercurial&l=

> PostgreSQL

Question - a bit left-field - is there any reason not to use a single db
schema that is shared with LiquidFeedbacks PostgreSQL db?

> (if you don't use the central pollwiki) MediaWiki.  The specific
> requirements are buried in here (follow the step links):
> http://zelea.com/project/votorola/s/manual.xht#site-setup

Ah - that's what I've been looking for. I'll introduce you to Dave Woods -
he is a sysadmin by trade, and I came across some posts of his last year, as
he pushed hard to get an LD party up and running here in the UK a few years
back. met him and got on great at the City Camp London conference last
weekend.

We've made a start on getting the server up and running, and will get
Votorolla up and running on it.

> If you decide to go ahead, let me know when you're ready.

Will do - next week some time (Dave is away this weekend).

> You could
> start with step 1 (Install Votorola).  That part should should go
> smoothly, and meantime I'll start updating the rest of the
> instructions for you.  There'll be snags along the way, and it may
> take a week or so to complete (not a single sitting), so it's maybe
> best to communicate through the list.

I'm going to get myself technically up to speed gradually. I've decided to
do this using the newer higher level Java based abstraction languages, that
I'd be happier working in. This should let me build upon any java classes /
code base you have in PollServer. This will I hope serve as a learning
platform for me as i go through each class, and provide a standardised
structure for the project which will open it up to other developers whether
they come from Java, or Ruby / Python based backgrounds. I also think it may
help in architectural terms.

So to be clear the technical architecture I personally will be working
towards is to use Groovy to interface with the current Java code base, and
use Grails to create simple web services in XML and JSON based on PollServer
in a tidy standardised way. Longer term the aim will be to create a DSL for
voting, and in particular proxy voting, using the nice features for this in
Groovy.

As a practical focus, I am going to take an existing and well structured
project by One Click Orgs (OCO), and port this class by class, from Ruby on
Rails to Groovy and Grails. OCO is designed to be used by organisations to
agree a legal constitution and then run it online with simple voting but it
would be, and it is planned that LD voting should be integrated as well into
the software and constitutional frameworks.

The aim is to use it with a network of organisations. The end result should
be a practical tool that integrates LD into the constitution and member
votes of the organisation.