Domain specific language (DSL)

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Oct 16 06:16:59 EDT 2010

David Bovill wrote:
> The first thing to do will be to get it up and running on the
> server. I'd also like to get it running on my laptop - but that is
> less important. Can we organise an online coding session next week,
> where I can introduce you to some coders who may be interested in
> getting involved - that way you could talk us through the way things
> are structures and any installation issues?

I don't recommend installing Votorola until you know for certain that
you'll be modifying the code.  Otherwise, you may be in for pain with
no gain.  It's not an easy install and the system manual needs
updating.

You'd need Linux, Java 6, Perl 5, Mercurial, PostgreSQL, Tomcat, and
(if you don't use the central pollwiki) MediaWiki.  The specific
requirements are buried in here (follow the step links):
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/s/manual.xht#site-setup
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/b/instructions.xht

If you decide to go ahead, let me know when you're ready.  You could
start with step 1 (Install Votorola).  That part should should go
smoothly, and meantime I'll start updating the rest of the
instructions for you.  There'll be snags along the way, and it may
take a week or so to complete (not a single sitting), so it's maybe
best to communicate through the list.

> > It's painful because Votorola is an exploratory project...  I'm
> > hopeful we can attract a nuts-and-bolts architect or a
> > down-to-earth project leader, at some point.
>
> I'd have to disagree. If we want these people, a project manager
> and/or coder, then all that is needed is to go out and find one
> actively. It is not an issue of technical complexity or the
> volatility of code, it is a lack of a desire / prioritizing the
> social aspects of team work in terms of coding.

You assume we knew what to code all these years, or that it was pretty
obvious.  Nobody's ever done this before.  We had to invent it at
every step.  What slowed us down in the process was actually the
coding, especially all the coding before we understood a) what we're
doing and b) to what end.

The last question is still largely unanswered.  I feel that if we
don't try to find a satisfactory answer (the "logos") then whatever
we're doing, it cannot be technology.