Domain specific language (DSL)

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Wed Oct 13 05:47:04 EDT 2010

On 13 October 2010 03:26, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:

> Working together has been the #1 hurdle in this field right from the
> start.  My latest hope of "vaulting" over it is the theory work.  But
> I'm still open to other approaches, especially if they appear to have
> strong legs.

How to get people to work together on a complex project that crosses over
disciplines without money to manage the process is in my opinion one of the
most important problems on the planet. Years of struggling with this in
formal and informal settings, have led me to the conclusion that light
weight flexible legal structures are a vital part of the solution - they are
what can glue individuals in their bedrooms at different ends of the planet
together long enough to deliver complex projects.

> > The idea is to create a domain specific language (DSL) for Liquid
> > Democracy (LD) on top of the Java code base you are using
> > Groovy. I've read around the subject, and it lloks one of the best
> > choices for DSL's, as well as a good basis to be able to integrate
> > other projects that I know which want to use LD as part of their
> > system. Given your conceptual strengths in getting to grips with the
> > detail of this area, you'd be easily the best person to do this. I'm
> > not sure yet if the underlying concepts, and end-user utility are
> > complex enough to merit a DSL - but my guess is that they are, and
> > simple is good anyway, especially when you consider mix and matching
> > the LD DSL with other domains such as it's use in choosing voting
> > mechanisms within an organisational structure. The latter would have
> > it's own DSL, and is based on a Rails project I am thinking of
> > porting to Groovy / Grails.
> >
> > So Michael - what wood a DSL look like for Votorolla?
>
> What's the primary purpose of the DSL?  To contribute to the
> integration of the overall system?

Yes - I want to integrate LD into a Ruby on Rails web app, and while web
services are one way of doing this creating a DSL in Groovy would be a
richer space in which to eveolve innovative solutions in this area with
multiple developers.