WYSIWYG editor for pollwiki

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Aug 29 04:54:28 EDT 2010

Re: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FCKeditor_%28Official%29
I'm sorry Thomas, but I doubt we can use it - at least not yet.
I ran into a bunch of problems:

1. I couldn't get it to work with our version of MediaWiki (1.15.1).
   It does nothing, as though its hooks weren't being called.

   I was going to try the latest version from the head of their SVN
   repository, or maybe wait for MW 1.16 to get downstream to my
   distro (a month or two).  But unfortunately, there are other
   problems:

2. It messes up the diffs.  This is the worst problem.
   http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/index.php/Talk:Main_Page#Problems_with_FCKEditor_breaking_diffs

   I tested it in their sandbox.  It removes whitepace, adds <br/>,
     and appends trailing spaces to lines.  It moves category
   links around.  It sometimes reformats the entire page.  I changed
   two lines at the top of this page, for example, and it reformatted
   the paragraph at bottom:
   http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/index.php?title=Sandbox&diff=13628&oldid=13627

   It'll mess up the difference bridge - unless we force everyone to
   use it - which wouldn't be easy (or fair).  The reporter says that
   only about half of his users chose to use it.

3. There are warning signs.  It doesn't look stable enough:

   http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:FCKeditor_%28Official%29
   http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/index.php/Talk:Main_Page
   http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/index.php/FCKeditor_integration_guide
   http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/index.php/Talk:FCKeditor_integration_guide
   http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/index.php/Troubleshooting
   http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/index.php/Talk:Troubleshooting

Maybe we can find other solutions.  Or maybe it'll be less of a
problem when the wiki is no longer the entry door. (?)