Poll names and lists

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Thu Sep 3 11:34:51 EDT 2009

Hey Thomas,

> >   http://t.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Pollspace/?p=vop
> >   http://t.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Pollspace/?p=m
>
> Will these be the names schown in the drop down menu City - City-Wide-
> City-Mayor?
> Cause there I would like to have the full titles, which you also plan
> for the wiki.
> Maybe thats not possible, but the full titles will be visible in the
> list under "District", right?

It's running now, using formal (short) names in the drop downs, and
long titles in the districts lists.  That's the easiest to implement.
If it's OK for now, later we can look at improvements.

> Btw, wouldnt "List of Polls" or just "List" instead of "District" be
> more clear?

That's how it used to be.  (We spoke since, off list.)  Instead of
this:

    All       Scheme     Distict   Poll

I used to have this:

    Schemes   Disticts   Polls     Votes

You'll maybe try that in the German translation.  But then the "Polls"
tab is attached to a page that is titled after the district, and that
gives other information about the district, not just a list of its
polls.  So tabbing it as "Polls" can be confusing.

Not to spend too much time on it...  None of the pollserver UI is
anywhere *near* it's final form, except for the pollspace browser
(WP_Pollspace).  All the rest of the UI is being put off till later -
and much of it shoved off into the wiki and other external media,
where the users can shape it.

> > In the wiki, we'll have full titles like "Votorola Plans" or "Mayor of
> > Toronto".  These will be changeable at any time.
>
> If one would want to sabotage a poll, because he is afraid of its
> outcome, could he then rename it again and again, so it would be
> difficult to find for other voters. (like an edit-war)

I'll try to finish a first cut of it today, so we have something
concrete to look at.  Poll pages with full, pretty titles (above) will
always be redirect targets.  The pollserver links to the formal pages
(short names), and the wiki does a redirect it to the current pretty
page, if there is one.

Also, even if somebody moves the page (anybody can), the wiki
automatically creates redirects.  So old links aren't broken.  It
should be OK...