Poll names and lists

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Wed Sep 2 08:13:58 EDT 2009

Mike wrote:

This is a heads-up on forthcoming changes to poll names, and new
listing facilities in the wiki.  Hopefully these will give us a nicer
UI.

On the pollserver, we'll have free-form poll names.  They'll never
change after poll creation.  They'll be short and mostly
non-descriptive.  For example:

  http://t.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Pollspace/?p=vop
  http://t.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Pollspace/?p=m

Instead of:

  http://t.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Pollspace/?p=p-2009-8f-1
  http://t.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Pollspace/?p=city-mayor

In the wiki, we'll have full titles like "Votorola Plans" or "Mayor of
Toronto".  These will be changeable at any time.  Also, titles for
user position drafts will be variable from user to user.  For example:

  http://t.zelea.com/wiki/User:Mike%40zelea.com/Thomas_for_Mayor!
  http://t.zelea.com/wiki/User:ThomasvonderElbe%40gmx.de/Bürgermeister

Each poll will have an overview in the main namespace, exactly like a
Wikipedia article.  For example:

  http://t.zelea.com/wiki/Votorola_Plans
  http://t.zelea.com/wiki/Mayor_of_Toronto

Each poll's overview page will have a customizeable report generator.
Depending how we (users/editors) set up the generator, it could maybe
list the titles of all candidate drafts; or the summary sections of
all active drafts (edited in the last 3 weeks); or whatever else we
choose.  Later we'll look at the possibility of hooking it up with the
pollserver database, to sort by vote count, and so forth.

Report generators will be placeable on any page of the wiki.  All
pages will be listable by them, including user pages and poll
overviews (not just candidate drafts).  We're counting on the
following extension (not yet tested):

  http://semeb.com/dpldemo/index.php?title=Main_Page

These changes will take a few days.  It's OK to keep using the
pollserver.  Texts and votes should be unaffected.

This is kind of experimental.  We're open to other ideas, too.  Please
feel free to suggest...