Not direct democracy, not the rule of the people

koikaze fredgohlke at verizon.net
Tue Jul 7 08:47:57 EDT 2009

Good Morning, Rohan

re: "How is it that "Imagining a system that taxes the people and
     then asks them how to spend the tax money borders on the
     ludicrous"?  Income redistribution is one of the most
     popular activities of governments, and governments'
     subsidizing all manner of things (public transit, the needy,
     education, etc.) is very common.  I personally am unhappy
     about some of those activities, but I'd expect the majority
     to continue wanting such things."

Your question seems more ideological than investigative.

We elect representatives and charge them with the responsibility for
administering the distribution of our taxes.  In performing this task,
they do, indeed, subsidize "all manner of things (public transit, the
needy, education, etc.)".  That constitutes 'running the government'.
The manner in which they do their jobs may be open to question, but
the idea of adding another level beyond the current practice is
ludicrous.

Votorola has nothing to do with the redistribution of wealth.  It is
concerned with giving the people a way to influence their government.
It is a method, a tool.  Unfortunately, the example I used to respond
to Michael's request is leading to a digression from the purpose of my
participation in this discussion.  The purposes for which Votorola is
used may be important, but they do not relate to the topic that
concerns me ... the structure and utility of the tool.

Fred Gohlke