Registration framework

Martin Häcker mhaecker at schwarz-online.org
Mon Dec 7 17:51:02 EST 2009

> Well yes, open registration and authentication has already been done
> for *users*.  You guys are right, we just take what's there.  (I
> should have been clearer in my earlier posts.)  What we need is open
> registration for *voters*.  It's a different thing.  I corrected the
> intro:

I think the problem could be simplified to the point where we can make an organisation guarantee for its members - then they can vote on their (or even better) on other systems.

(This actually seems like another concern for vote-mirroring: If how users are authenticated in different ways - it may be wrong to mirror their votes - right?).

If organizations can do that, then for example the Pirateparty can take a pledge for all its members and they can vote on a all systems that decide to believe in the pledge of the party.

Just in the last days we discussed in a phone conference in germany that it might be nice for the Liqd e.V. to run an OpenID server where we could accept CACert certificates or Postident [1] as proof. I think though that an organization taking on this role is probably much easier to implement.

More general, it should be possible to start with weak authentication and then gradually upgrade the authentication to stronger methods as they become feasible/necessary (as the issues decided get more interesting to fake).

Regards,
Martin

[1] http://www.deutschepost.de/dpag?tab=1&skin=hi&check=no&lang=de_EN&xmlFile=1016309