Meta-Tool

Martin Häcker mhaecker at schwarz-online.org
Fri Dec 4 15:47:38 EST 2009

Salve!

> I was originally saying what Friedrich says: it's premature to talk
> about vote pooling, and it's hardly feasible anyway.  But I eventually
> came to agree with Thomas.  It's not premature at all.  There are two
> immediate problems (two sides of the same coin) to address: split
> consensus among voting engines, and irrational competition.  I added
> brief explanations to the intro here:

Now that I think about it, every voting in the end comes down to each voter giving one vote. How he decides where to cast it might actually be quite difficult - using delegation for example. But in the end, each voter casts one vote for one issue. (Does this leave preference based voting methods out?)

That is actually a pretty nifty description of delegation - you have an agent that you tell whose *open* voting decision you trust - and it votes the same.

So it might be entirely reasonable to aggregate votes of different system in a meta-system where you can get an overview of what people in groups larger than one organization say.

Still I would be very cautious to mirror votes into other systems - besides just showing whats happening elsewhere, as there are also social issues at play.

Consider a small organization using a liquid tool to find out what they want - if their decisions are swamped by votes from other systems - it is pretty easy to loose the boundaries of the group and generate a lot of antipathy against the system where other people tell them what to do.

This might not be the best explanation of the problem - but I think we should include such concerns when we try to find solutions that work (tm). (And I'd like to get small to medium groups to actually use LD before I bring out the big aggregation and mirroring systems.

However we should really be focussing in getting people to actually use the different projects because we don't have the (high quality) problem yet that we need to aggregate votes - because there sadly are no voters yet. :/

Which is what we need to change first. :)

Regards,
Martin