An intro of sorts

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 13:01:39 EST 2009

2009/12/3 Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich at pudo.org>

> > Another part of this focus has been on legal structures that are suitable
> > embed these decision making structures in law, so that they can be used
> by
> > NGO's or indeed any project with partners form anywhere in the world.
> This
> > requirement is that it should be no more expensive of burdensome to
> create a
> > legal entity for a project than it is to get up a web site, and that such
> > legal entities should be able to not only use the tools as their
> > constitution, but also have a firm technical and legal ground with which
> > associate with each other.
>
> There are some naive (in the technical, not human, sense!) attempts of
> this going on in DE, both in terms of restructuring the pirate party
> and within the Metapartei(.de), which (from what I understand) is
> essentially an open parliamentary proxy for onine voting. They haven't
> yet campaigned and taken part in an elections, though.

I'm also interested in this from the media point of view, I've collected a
number of videos in this area (a CC licensed documentary and some footage
I've shot of the Demoex guys in Sweden for instance, and am looking to work
with a documentary project which is following the 3 guys in the Pirate Bay
trial - I think that working with this material may help to give the theory
a context and content with which to engage people directly.

> > From a practical point of view I'd like to use the
> > www.liquiddemocracy.net/org/com domains I have to take forwards both the
> > technical and partnership based legal aspects of the theory, so well
> > expressed by this group. I'd also like to help with fund raising for
> this,
> > and would be interested in discussing how best to do this with interested
> > parties / potential partners.
>
> You should also really get in touch with Liquid Democracy e.V.
> (http://liqd.de). They started off as an effort to implement a fairly
> complex model of liquid democracy but have now turned into a kind of
> umbrella project for all things LD in the german web. While the
> concept itself is very well-developed (there's an engish version
> somewhere, I'll try to find it and send it to you), I think we're just
> getting started in terms of off-line aspects and imaging the larger
> ecosystem that would need to be established around LD in a serious
> context.
>
> Maybe you'd also be interested in visiting the 26c3 (www.ccc.de)
> hacker conference later this month or a second LD BarCamp scheduled
> for February where we'll try to tackle some non/less-technical
> aspects?

I've not been to CCC for the last couple of years, so if there is a group /
reason I'd be up for coming back. I'm planning on getting together with some
colleagues (one from Berlin) in any case at that time with regard to running
an architectural competition using LD techniques next summer.

Thanks for the links - and please let me know more about plans for CCC