Option for private votes

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon Jul 14 13:59:39 EDT 2008

Yes, there was some discussion offline.  My thinking was to accomodate
secret voting by publishing two separate counts.  So there'd be two
sets of results (vote tallies) for each election:

  1) public votes only
  2) public + private votes (a larger electorate)

The issue is verification.  Verification of public votes is simple -
we publish all of the data.  Anyone can count up the votes from
scratch and verify the reported results.  It'll be more complicated
for private votes.  Whatever scheme we adopt, though, I guess it won't
matter as long we keep them separate.  Then people will decide for
themselves which set of results to accept (based on their needs, and
their understanding of the verification schemes).