As obvious as a mandrills bottom.

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Feb 15 17:29:56 EST 2008

Martin Gustavsson wrote:
> ...REAL success will come ONLY when you do what SHOULD be done.
>
> If you join a direct democratic organization and discuss and analyze
> the need for that the organization and THEN do the programming it
> might ACTUALLY be useful.

Martin, I disagree.  You assume the need of a political organization.
That's your mandrill's bottom.

Direct democracy hinges on the ability of a community to acheive
consensus (general agreement) on matters of public policy,
legislation, appointments and so forth.  Votorola would be useful for
this -- that's its purpose.  So I understand what brought you to the
list.  But I don't agree with your point; I don't see how an
organization (of any kind) could be an aid to consensus.  On the
contrary, I foresee how it could do harm.  Communities can only arrive
at a consensus by engaging in free and open discourse.  This comes
quite naturally to them, and they certainly don't need any guidance to
help them along.  Organizations, such as political parties and
governments (none of which operate by free and open discourse), are
best kept out of the process.  Otherwise, they could only interfere
with it.  Do you follow my argument?