(contest) How should humanity steer the future?

Alexander Praetorius citizen at serapath.de
Tue Feb 18 15:18:26 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:

> Deadline: April 18, 2014
> http://www.fqxi.org/community/essay
>
> Dystopic visions of the future are common in literature and film,
> while optimistic ones are more rare. This contest encourages us to
> avoid potentially self-fulfilling prophecies of gloom and doom and to
> think hard about how to make the world better while avoiding potential
> catastrophes.
>
> Our ever-deepening understanding of physics has enabled technologies
> and ways of thinking about our place in the world that have
> dramatically transformed humanity over the past several hundred
> years. Many of these changes have been difficult to predict or
> control — but not all.
>
> In this contest we ask how humanity should attempt to steer its own
> course in light of the radically different modes of thought and
> fundamentally new technologies that are becoming relevant in the
> coming decades.
>
> Possible topics or sub-questions include, but are not limited to:
>
>    * What is the best state that humanity can realistically achieve?

Humanity is so efficiently connected and structured in real time, that it
can react and act like a single being.
What that being will do, no one can know. I call this my vision of the
"singularity".

>    * What is your plan for getting us there? Who implements this plan?

My plan is to try to build a nice collaborative gamified environment for
hackathons.
Those will be held all over the place, re-using the same open sourced
evolving software.
The goal is, that people in hackathons can collaborate so well and can
continue their work during the next hackathon,
that they can actually EARN MONEY with the services they will come up with.
Internally it will start with developers, but will include more and more
professions.
They form contracts between each other and have to think about how to split
revenue.
They vote how they will move forward on those things which they agreed
upon, that they have a saying in.

   * What technology (construed broadly to include practices and
>      techniques) does your plan rely on?

GIT!!!!, Githooks, gitsubmodules, gitsubtrees.
Browsers (mainly google chrome, but all browsers in general)
HTML5/CSS/Javascript
NPM + Github => As the fastest growing software package ecosystem that has
ever existed in the history of humanity

> What are the risks of those
>      technologies?

Fuck Risks, there are no risks, there are only CHANCES and if for some
reasons their will be other and better chances, then i will take those.

> How can those risks be mitigated?

Change your mindset!

> (Note: While this topic is broad, successful essays will not use this
> breadth as an excuse to shoehorn in the author's pet topic, but will
> rather keep as their central focus the theme of how humanity should
> steer the future.)
>
> Additionally, to be consonant with FQXi's scope and goals, essays
> should be sure to touch on issues in physics and cosmology, or closed
> related fields, such as astrophysics, biophysics, mathematics,
> complexity and emergence, and the philosophy of physics.

*DISCLAIMER:*

*Everything I have written above is my personal experience/opinion on
things, no matter what kinds of words i did use(e.g. "always", "never",
"impossible", "waste of time", ....).*

*Such extreme words only do indicate, that my experience/opinion on
something is very strong and i currently cannot imagine that there are
other possibilities until new arguments/insights/whatever open my eyes that
there are alternative perspectives too :-)Please do not feel discouraged to
challenge my opinion if you have a different one.*

*Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen*
Alexander Praetorius
Rappstraße 13
D - 60318 Frankfurt am Main
Germany