Designs for primary guidance: a comparison

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Oct 9 07:40:48 EDT 2013

Thanks for looking at it David.  I've done some further work, but not
much to address your concerns yet.
http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Designs_for_primary_guidance

> Question: are we looking at technical implementations here - and missing
> out practice that may be codified explicitly but not implemented? Take as
> an example Legislative Theatre, or other formal participation and
> deliberation practices used in architecture and world development circles?

I think it'll be more interesting to cover *all* designs for primary
guidance.  I agree they needn't be "technical" in the the IT sense.

> For example - it can be argued that the practice of television
> documentary makers, or investigative journalism, as formalised in
> their respective professions, has an effect (we can debate how
> directly) on the running of local and national elected bodies.

I say "corrective designs", which maybe needs expanding.  I mean
solutions that tackle the problem head on and structurally.  Indirect
or accidental modes of "guidance" might be too numerous to catalogue.

But I think I understand; you're suggesting how to explain the concept
by way of short examples.

Yes, we have that one: http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Deliberative_Polling

> ... Please lose the jargon - or at least provide a translation
> into plain French?

One problem is shortness of space in the intro blurb.  We shouldn't
bury the comparison table beneath a lengthy intro.  Another is my use
of an engineering concept (primary guidance) that has no larger
description anywhere.  I figure it's more important to first *show*
the concept in this comparison table (which is structured for that
purpose) and shine some light on it that way.  Anyway, the upshot is
that I'm temporarily stuck with a dense description sitting on top.  I
hope it's at least correct, but I agree it's not ideal.

I did add some linkages to Wikipedia, however.
http://zelea.com/mediawiki/index.php?diff=6269&oldid=6264

One possible relief: that comparison page is separate from the data.
The data are pulled in from elsewhere in the wiki.  So the same data
could *also* be pulled into other pages and compared in other tables
or lists that have nothing to do with my (still immature) notion of
primary guidance.  This has implications for collaboration, which I'll
expand on when I post to the Metagov list.  Do you follow Metagov?

Mike