A New Party Dedicated to Implementing Public Voting

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Sat Jun 15 10:20:50 EDT 2013

There are some surrounding issues that make me want to take both approaches. If an organization is conducting activities such as a primary, then (at least in the U.S.), I think it must be registered as a political party. More to my concern, I believe that the only way any E2D-like movement can see success in the U.S. is through substantial funding and therefore publicity. That again requires registration as a party (before gathering or spending the first thousand dollars).

A well-funded, well-thought-out national party can prevent the creation of redundant competitors. Currently there appear to be none in the United States. There is a Pirate Party, but they have no visibility and really the Pirate platform is very different from E2D. For one thing, they have a platform, while E2D is (in my mind) completely neutral on all issues except the meta-issues of corruption and politics.

Additionally, this paradigm requires a good registration process. As you know from Metagov, I think governance should be open to whomever feels like participating. But with the imperfect hack of E2D (again, primarily as a bridge and an eye-opener), there is no way it would fly with Americans if foreigners or even people from another American locality could participate in any way in their elections or even primaries.

The way I'm looking at it for now is to go ahead with fundraising and publicity, and allow self-nomination of candidates (as Rhett is doing) up until the point where a primary function can be implemented. There's no reason for that not to be an open primary such as yours, but with all of the above, I think the party is also necessary.

P.S. It's noteworthy that confidence in the U.S. Congress has dropped to a historically-low and amazingly-low 10%:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/06/13/confidence-in-congress-drops-to-historic-low/