A New Party Dedicated to Implementing Public Voting

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Tue Jun 11 12:00:11 EDT 2013

Hi, Michael.

I'll be putting forward a call for input to Metagov and E2D soon, to see where I can take this idea (Rhett and I discussed off-list and don't really see any conflict between my plans which are more party-centric and his which are more candidacy-focused).

I see success as nothing less than complete dominance of the US political system. Basically, it's a choice between one of the authoritarian-minded parties or the party of true democracy. There is no compromise there.

In the particulars of legislatures in the US, they vary widely (and I am only thinking of legislatures; I think it would be impractical to try for executive offices until society has adapted to the legislative shift). Winning office is usually one of two possible methods. Either it's a simple plurality (whoever gets the most votes wins), or it's a run-off between usually the top-two candidates in cases where no candidate gets a majority.

Control of the legislature varies somewhat, but I think the general rule (and certainly the rule in the US federal houses) is that a majority is needed for control of the house. So it would be possible for us to get 49% of the members of one house, but have the authoritarian parties band together in a coalition... something which currently never happens in the US because we are so locked into the 2-party system. So in any event, success in terms of numbers of seats means at least 51% of each legislature. Once we have control of a legislature, we can then start re-writing its rules to abolish some of the other party-entrenching/anti-democratic systems such as committees. Also, control of a house means we might potentially be able to switch from each member being a proxy for their district to all members being a proxy for all citizens in the aggregate... yet an additional step toward true democracy.

Yes, I'm thinking big :) But again... given the choice between a corrupt authoritarian politician and a democratic proxy citizen, many people just might see the benefit of the latter, even if it is fraught with flaws. I'm half-seriously considering tying into the very-commonly-spoken American idea that voting currently entails picking the lesser of two evils -- and referring to the new party as "the least of three evils." ;)