Planting a forest

Alexander Praetorius citizen at serapath.de
Sat Jan 26 19:27:17 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:

> I've been struggling with the planting part for a couple of days:
>
> http://zelea.com/w/User:Mike-ZeleaCom/G/p/vohall?oldid=6116#2._Grow_the_discussion
> It's all wrong.  I think I took the wrong approach.  I finally
> realized my mistake.  What I need first is to understand the practice
> in the leafy canopy, because that's what we need to *grow into*.
>
> I figure the basic unit of the canopy is a small group of 2-7 leaf
> drafters around a variant pipe.
>
>    (+)   (+)
>      \    |  (+)
>       \   |  /
>        \  | /
>         \ |/
>          ( )-----(+)
>
> They work on the draft in order to get it accepted in a patch relay.
> It's not just a question of passing it to the candidate below (as we
> originally thought), but rather to the entire branch or tree.  Either
> a patch gets sunk pretty much everywhere it can possibly be applied
> (goes "wild"), or it goes nowhere.  What follows from this?
>
>   (a) The group doesn't need votes.  That won't help in a patch relay.

[alex]
haha :-) That sounds funny.
If I decide to apply a patch, then this could be interpreted as giving my
vote.
It isnt necessary to model the giving of votes in an explicit way, its
given implicitly, right?
At least that's how you sound
[/alex]

>   (b) They need *generally agreeable* content in the variant draft.
>       There's no other way to get the patch accepted by the pipe
>       minders downstream.
>
>   (c) Win or lose, most of the members will eventually move on to
>       other variants.
>
>   (d) Groups are somewhat ad hoc.  They don't always move as a unit,
>       but may break up and reform in different combinations on
>       different variants, depending on personal interest.

[alex]
yes, this feels right
[/alex]

> So I'm thinking, maybe this is *also* how it starts?  Differences at
> the earliest stage would be:
>
>   (s) Not many groups, ofc.  Initially there's just a single group
>       working on a single variant in one of the component branches.
>
>   (t) Almost no patches have been accepted yet.  The text is small.
>
>   (u) Every patch is pretty much guaranteed to be accepted.  NOT GOOD
>
> I think (t) is an advantage, because it makes the text accessible.
> But (u) is a danger.  It's unrealistic.  We want a consensus that
> everyone affected can agree to, not just one group.  So maybe this is
> where we connect with forums?  We use them to:
>
>   (f) Give us a quorum.  We ask for an informal thumbs up/down on each
>       patch relay.  If the public doesn't like it, then we hold off.
>
>   (g) Give us ideas for (b).
>
> Maybe this kind of "public consultation" would always be a good idea,
> even when the canopy was buzzing with activity.  It feels like the
> right way to connect with a larger public.  Of course, we might also
> expect to attract new users from forums.  But we'd never have to push
> for that.  All we'd really need is (f) and (g).

[alex]
by the way, your diagrams are hard to read, because somehow the font google
mail uses often distorts them very much.

reagarding (f) and (g), i dont understand who that should look like in
practice and all the examples i can make up dont feel right
[/alex]

> Anyway, I wanted to share what I'm thinking before I try (once again)
> to diagram it.  It may take a while.
>
> --
> Michael Allan
>
> Toronto, +1 416-699-9528