[MG] Proposal for Knight News Challenge

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Fri Feb 22 07:59:39 EST 2013

Hi, Michael.

I find it a bit confusing. Even if the readers are intelligent, many of the topics you are discussing are just not familiar to most people. While they can be understood with contemplation, on their face they may be too difficult to grasp.

I would propose going a different route... and of course, it's possible we could make two submissions, one for Votorola and one for Metagov, or whatever.

My suggestion would be to directly attack the premise: that improving government is a question of enabling citizens more access to the government. That still treats citizens and government as two distinct things, and I think that's where the fix needs to be applied.

PROJECT TITLE
Use internet tools to remove the distinction between government and citizens.

DESCRIPTION
Democracy is not about a good relationship between the government and the people: it is about government of, by, and for the people. As long as we view government and citizens as two distinct groups, we cannot have actual democracy. This means changing not the way government institutions function, but rather the way governance works. This proposal is to fundamentally change the means by which government decisions are made.

In the past, it has been impossible or undesirable for the people to continuously participate in their own governance: people had to be physically together in order to make decisions together. So we had to compromise and implement a representative form of democracy: basically keeping the governance structure of feudalism (lords and a king), but democratizing the process how those rulers came to office.

Now with internet technologies, we have the ability to democratize the entire decision-making process. The common reaction to this proposal is that it is an attempt to bring about mob rule: a horrible result of a primitive and ill-considered form of democracy. We do not propose that at all.

Instead, we propose to build systems where deliberation and discussion are the core of decision-making. Where democracy is not about 51% of the people picking one option and 49% picking the opposite, but rather about building consensus through organic means of dialog and deliberation.

...I would continue from here, but I have hit a time-deadline and must stop now.

Opinions?