[Politik] Helping the Pirate Party to vanish

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Apr 30 06:31:14 EDT 2013

fisch01 said:
> I appreciate your visions. I think we all share the same here. :) To
> my mind the idea as a whole has to be spread and understood before a
> toolset yet to be developed and put together can be used to avoid
> the usual pitfalls. ...  But anyway all this should not keep us away
> from prototyping a whole new system.

Thank you.  I agree we need to be cautious.  We can only understand a
little of what we're trying to build, so we should build only a little
at a time.  We should proceed in small steps, and with prototypes.

I was slow in replying because I wanted to document a sound practice
first.  Unfortunately we cannot say to the electors (as I'd hoped),
"Vote for an open party and the same candidates are elected
regardless!  the parties are vanishing!"  The German election act
doesn't allow for multiple party nomination, after all.  So the
practice needed some slight changes: (and maybe this is better anyway)
http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Votorola/p/assembly_election/multi-winner#In_Germany

The furthest the Pirate Party could go on its present course is to
replace the SPD.  It would then become like party H here:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2013-April/031770.html

But if that argument is correct, the Pirates would then be eaten up by
the open parties (i1).  To avoid that fate, the party would have to
become an open party itself.  It would have to offer nominations to
all candidates (left and right) based purely on the results of cross-
-party, open primaries.  The election act doesn't allow candidates to
be *copied* across parties, but it does allow them to *move* across
parties (of course).  So I think this is one of the practices we need
to prototype and learn about.

Mike