Open budget primary

conseo conseo at polyc0l0r.net
Wed Apr 24 12:05:52 EDT 2013

Michael Allan wrote:
> Here's a rough design for an open budget primary based on transitive
> delegation: http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Votorola/p/budgeting
>
> It runs in parallel with an open executive primary of similar design.
> The officers currently nominated in the executive primary maintain
> accounts for particular programs and services in the budget primary.
> Each voting participant has a single vote to cast into an account.
> Together the participants shift these votes to ensure that the most
> important accounts are sufficiently funded.  When the executive is
> eventually elected, it comes complete with a primary budget.
>
> Will this work as hoped?  Or is there an obvious flaw?

I am not sure whether this is close enough to democratically steer the
economic process, but it is definitely a well-integrated way to develop a
budget. I don't see a direct problem with it and I think it is a very
interesting idea which matches the pipe indirection nicely. Good idea!

Since it is also combinable with our resource accounting, people could both
determine the global budget and contribute more than the vote, but their
"taxes" rather directly with their vote in form of resources.

conseo