Primary network effects and national dialogue

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Apr 16 12:19:18 EDT 2013

Hi Alex,

> It can never be about "eliminating the network effect".  The network
> effect in itself is one fundamental evolutionary principle.  You
> cannot circumvent it, you can only try to work WITH it.

Public telephone networks are the classic example.  Bell's network
dominated for roughly a century in North America because it had more
subscribers and therefore more people to call.  Small carriers could
not get subscribers.  That's the network effect.

Today, the subscribers of small carriers in North America can call
exactly the same number of people as Bell subscribers.  The network
effect that favoured Bell vs. the smaller carriers has been
eliminated.  So it's clearly possible to do that.

Mike