Difference lighting and cross-linking on the bridge

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Sep 22 13:10:59 EDT 2012

Hey Thomas,

Looks like I was wrong about stabilizing the anchor colour.  I tried
and it came out worse than before. :-)  But now I see two flaws:

  (1) The anchoring author is not clearly marked in the vote track.
      For example, it's not clear in this bridge scene that Frank
      anchors the track: http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/D?a=5339&b=5340&s

      Nor is it always clear in this draft scene:
      http://zelea.com/w/User:Frank-FlippityNet/Sys/p/sandbox

      If you click on another author in the track, then two authors
      are spotlit, and which is the anchor is no longer obvious.

  (2) The author *pair* in the bridge scene is not consistently marked
      in the vote track: http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/D?a=5339&b=5340&s

      Initially the pair is marked, but click on another author and
      the marks are lost.

These bits of information are important for orientation.  They need to
be clearly and consistently marked.  In terms of a solution then,
imagine visuals like this:

  (1) A push pin is stuck in the vote track.  It only appears when the
      track is anchored (as in bridge and draft scenes).  It marks the
      anchor node.  It never moves.

                                                 | (push pin)

  (2) Author names on top of the bridge scene are now placed left and
      right.  They connect to the vote track by callout lines.  They
      never move.

        Georgina-BeenaCom                      Frank-FlippityNet

These particular visuals are only for illustration.  I'm not sure
they're feasible, but hopefully we can code something equivalent.
Then we could take another look at it.  What do you think?

Note: The names left and right are similar to the fields you suggested
for pair selection.  Except the only purpose here (at least initially)
would be to create stable hand-holds for orientation.

Mike