Interactions of talk track

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Mon Nov 26 07:40:16 EST 2012

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 19:56, Michael Allan wrote:

> We were thinking we want sticky staging.  So when something's staged,
> it usually sticks till the user explicitly changes it.  For that, all
> Conseo needs to do is ensure the staged message is shown whether it
> belongs to the filtered set, or not.  So a message is staged:
>
>          Hello there, blah blah blah
>              ----------X----------------
>

> A poll is staged and the track is filtered down.  But the old message
> is still staged and still shown as such in the track.
>
>          Hello there, blah blah blah
>                                    X ---
>

> The user may now unstage it, or stage another.

Unstaging it doesn't work in polls with no messages at all right!?
What I don't like about it, is simply, that the message takes the space
of the poll-name and you don't know, where you are anymore. But I think
I understand your point too: the user is more in control.

> What do you think of talk lighting for this?
> http://mail.zelea.com/list/votorola/2012-September/001412.html

There you wrote: "Here's what I propose; the first part is simple: whenever
the mouse enters the talk track (-----), the talk icon lights up in
the link track (Q, top left).  This gives the user an immediate sense
of what the track shows.  Likewise for each the other tracks.  As the
mouse crosses the tracks, we light up the icons one by one (top left)."

+1, I like this!

Also you wrote: "Second, whenever the mouse enters a particular message
in the talk
track (-), the other tracks light up to show where the talk is
happening.  Scenery in the page lights up too, where that makes sense.
These "talk lights" fade slowly (roughly 3 seconds), such that
horizontal traversal of the track, or back and forth, lays a glowing
pattern on the other tracks.  It shows the spatial pattern of
discussion during the period of time traversed by the mouse."

Wow, how difficult is this to code? How long would it take? I think I
like it, but I'm a bit afraid, it might be too much happening for the eyes.

> (2) Another problem is to reveal the talk track's internal information
> in useful ways.  Maybe the acid test for this is to quickly find a
> given message in the track, like we can find a poll in the poll track.
> Then we'd know the information is shining through.

Can you anchor a certain voter and let all messages related to him light
up? That would make searching for messages quite easy.

> (3) We're poorly connected to discussion media, the best of which
> aren't web based.  Our diff URLs are good rope bridges for some media,
> but they only work at the exit.  We put a welcome mat at the entrance,
> but it's actually hard to get in.  We're torn between these facts:
>
>     * Discussion media (voice and mail)

Well, private mails and voice are somehow not in the interest of your
voters and their voters etc., because of their intransparency. So there
is a draw to public lists and forums, isn't it?

Thomas