Kick notification source (A) mail detector

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Jun 16 16:04:14 EDT 2012

conseo said:
> ... we could let the registration on a forum be done by users... To
> do that we can expose a single mail inbox of the MailDetector and
> let users register it. ...

This is a smart idea.  I imagine it would work something like this:

  0. Candidate (C) and voters are discussing an issue in their chosen
     forum.  They want the discussions to show up in the talk track:
     http://zelea.com/project/votorola/s/gwt/stage/_/mock/home-4.xht
     (talk track is where mouse is hovering)

  1. C adds the forum to his position.
     http://zelea.com/w/Property:Forum

  2. C follows a link from forum page to page of mail detector (MD).
     MD says, "Not subscribed to forum.  My address is:

        voharvest+maildetector at zelea.com

     "My mail is stored at:"

        http://zelea.com/somewhere/public/

  3. C subscribes MD to forum.

     Forum sends authentication challenge to MD.  MD copies the
     message to public directory.  (MD copies all mail messages for
     unsubscribed forums to public directory.)

  4. C replies to authentication challenge.

     Forum mails subscription password (if any) to MD.  MD copies the
     message to public directory.

     Discussions of C and voters are now being tracked.  Copies of
     their messages are accumulating in the public directory.

     . . . (a couple of days go by)

  5. Administrator wakes up and marks forum "subscribed".

     MD no longer copies its mail to public directory.

  6. Administrator changes forum password and optimizes the
     subscription settings.

> Potential problems:
> 1) It does not work for live chat or live mediums. We need separate
> Detectors for these, like an IRC bot.

OK, that's a viable solution.

> 2 ) It might not work with all notifications, e.g. if the content is
> stripped or if there is no URL to the forum (unlikely).

The detector can still issue a kick.  One of the harvesters will get
kicked more often than necessary.  That's shouldn't be a big problem
unless the forum is extremely busy.

> 3) Notifications can take too long for a smooth reaction. This is
> out of our hands and depends on the mail setup of the forum
> provider. Sometimes notifications come hours after the message has
> arrived.

Not for mailing lists though.  I think this is the same as problem 1,
and the same solution.