Automatic harvesting requirements for difference feed service

conseo 4consensus at web.de
Tue Jan 31 06:39:09 EST 2012

On Monday, January 30, 2012 02:33:03 PM Michael Allan wrote:
> Hi Conseo,
>
> This might be simpler than I expected, because I think we can drop the
> complexity of the referrer header for archive discovery.  The use
> cases below center on this mockup of the theatre toolbar and
> difference bridge: (see callout notes 1 and 2, here)
> http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/_/TheatreToolbar/diff-1.xht
>
> Here's the use case for ARCHIVE DISCOVERY:
>
>   1. User U opens discussions on a new issue.  She and her voters
>      start posting messages with embedded difference URLs to a mailing
>      list.
>
>   2. V notices that the messages are not showing up on the talk track
>      of the difference bridge.  He says so.
>
>   3. U says, "That's because I forgot to add the URL of this list's
>      web archive to my position page."
>
>      So she adds it.
>
> Here's the use case for MESSAGE DISCOVERY:
>
>   1. V posts a new message to the mailing list.  It contains an
>      embedded URL for a difference between him and W.
>
>   2. Lurker L is reading his mail and sees V's new message.
>
>   3. L follows the URL from his mail client.
>
>      He is taken to the difference bridge.  He looks at the talk track
>      and scratches his chin.  A new post appears.  It is auto-selected
>      and a summary appears in the caption at the top of the window.
>
>      He reads the summary.  It's the same message he was reading in
>      his mail client 5 seconds ago.
>
> So basically the harvester wakes up whenever a fresh difference is
> viewed in the bridge.  It goes looking for the post on the web.  It
> looks in the archives listed in the position pages of the common
> candidate (U in this case), if any, and the individual users (V, W)
> until it finds a match.  Then it feeds the post to clients like the
> talk track.

"Whenever a fresh difference", hmm the first time it is viewed is by the
writer of the communications post, which is searched. It does not exist yet,
if I understand your concept correctly. We would have to use something like
the first not-signed in view of the difference. But this is borked as well.
Could you clarify? I have to think about it as well. I feel a little bit sick
atm. which is just right for exams :-D, so don't worry if it takes some time
for me to reply, I will do so.

conseo