[MG] Difference bridge layout proposal

conseo 4consensus at web.de
Wed Jan 25 20:42:54 EST 2012

Hi,

> Referring specifically to drawing #3...
>
> Do the (two) colored boxes under the voters represent all textual
> differences between the voter's individual drafts?  And...the full draft of
> each voter can be read (only) by clicking on each voter's "view position
> page"?
>
> Does the "...show common part..." refer to the text underneath it as being
> from the same common *area* (of the individual drafts) as the text lateral
> to it?   If so, does it actually mean "...common part shown..."?   Or, does
> "...show common part..." reference the areas of each draft which are
> *identical* in both drafts (and not shown) but that can be viewed by
> clicking on "...show common part..."?

Exactly, the latter. It might be confusing, but my idea was that we focus on
the differences and unveil the common parts on interest. Showing the context
(e.g. paragraph) already clutters the layout imo.

> I'm assuming this is *Ed's page*...and he will always be on the right side
> of his page...thus the patch arrow will always point towards him?

Well, he might be on the left-side, we decided to order that based on voter-
candidate position. Ed can be both in different contexts. Both persons can
also be in no voting relationship and then we have to fallback on alphabetic
order I guess.

> Once the little box (between differences) is X'ed and ones clicks on "patch
> selected" to make the change.....will the arrow then read "unselect patch"
> in case one wants to change back to their original position?

Hmm, I haven't thought about an "undo" feature. You can easily browse the
history of your position page on the Wiki though. We might offer to revert the
changes through this functionality, but it is not as important as making the
process straightforward. Or do you think users often want to revert? You can
always edit your draft as well.

> Also, assuming this is Ed's individual page, how would he *move* other
> voter's drafts to his page in order to view the difference between the two
> drafts?

The page is not so much of specific content for Ed, but rather identified by
the differences between both people. So if Ed. wants to patch parts from a
different position, he can always click "Diff vs. mine" on named position page
and will get a different page on the difference bridge.

> On Jan 24, 2012, at 2:29 AM, Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> > Wow, what a difference a good graphical layout can make! I like this.
> > And I also think, the third is the best. Especially because of this
> > flowing impression from left to right or vice versa. It really invites
> > the user to let the texts merge. Unfortunately many differences will
> > not be of a different length. But anyway ...>

I find this weird, because the layout contradicts the content in (3) imo. The
common parts are separated in the individual sections on the left and right,
while the different parts are connected by the colours. Sharing already most
of the document gave me a stronger feeling towards merging the red parts
(differences) in (1) and (2).

> > On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 6:58, Michael Allan wrote:
> >> Hi C,
> >>
> >> Thanks for drawing these.  The overall layout has given me some ideas.
> >> I'm thinking we could put a kind of difference feed between the two
> >> head shots in order to show the dialogue between them.

> >> I still prefer (3) because I think the loss of flowing, readable text
> >> in (1) is confusing.  To be sure, (3) doesn't come to grips with the
> >> difficult edge cases and therefore isn't realistic, but it's cleaner
> >> and easier to grok.

Could you explain more what you mean with "flowing"? How is reading text
confusing? I could also show the last sentence and then add a show more
(instead of "... show common part ...". But I suspect you have already more on
your mind, I am curious about the mockups.

> >> I think we should pass "Referer" URLs from the bridge to the harvester
> >> in order to keep the feed up to date.  Would you be able to code the
> >> harvester end of that, once your exams are done?  And maybe the feed
> >> UI between the head shots, too? *

Yes, I can do that.

> >> I'll start drawing mockups of my own for this, because it meshes with
> >> the theatre toolbar and other mini-beta stuff.

Ok, hopefully this will help to clarify :-)

> >>  * The Referer idea is originally from Martin Haecker.
> >>
> >>    http://zelea.com/w/User_talk:Mike-ZeleaCom/G/p/de#No_need_to_sta
> >>    rt_from_scratch>>

conseo

(1) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/diffbridge/4/DifferenceBridge4.xht