Difference lighting and cross-linking on the bridge

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Thu Aug 30 05:27:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

part of the complexity ofc also comes from putting a 2- or 3-dimensional
tree into a line. Which makes me look foreward even more for the
vote-space-curtain, which falls down on demand and has enough room to
show much more of the vote-space much clearer. (BTW, the circular layout
of it is my favorite again, after we had this thread about these
centerless pipe-votes, where voters gather around them in circles.) And
I have the hope, that coding this curtain is not so much of an effort
anymore, since almost all of the functionality of it is now already
coded in the track and only the graphics would change - or is this wrong?

But about the track:

I think, part of the confusion would go away, if there were both names
up in the track, if two people are involved in the show, i.e. in
position pages with highlighted diffs and diff-pages. And maybe the
names permanently coloured accordingly, like it is now when hovered over
(or have a colourd frame or background around them).

And how, if we make the anchor really the center of the user-experience?
So the user always knows, where he is looking from. From this center of
his perspective he can look at other drafters, i.e. at diffs (in
position-pages and in the diff-bridge). And ofc he can always change his
center of perspective, i.e. make another one the anchor. This would only
mean:

> We use colour for cast relations (voter/candidate, co-voter) but the
> vote track already shows that info and shows it more intuitively.
> Possible elements of a solution:

> a) Drop colours. Use shades of grey (light/dark) or single colour
> (orangish/grey) in all places: bridge, track lighting and draft shadows.

Yes, I think, this will help a lot. Just two stabile colours: one for
each actor: anchor and the other.

> Add colour (say dull red) for the non-drafters, who are currently
> distinguished as grey in the track.

If we have two colours for the others, grey for the non-drafters is good
imo.

> b) Don't distinguish full cast relation, but only position in regard
> to anchor. So voters and co-voters *left* of the anchor are lightly
> shaded, while co-voters and candidate *right* are darkly shaded. This
> echoes the spatial info of the vote-track *and* emphasizes the anchor
> more clearly. Easier now to orient.

Can't we leave this distinction away? Just have the anchor and the other
(no matter if left or right)?

> The light ones (left) remain on top in the diffs, and the dark (right)
> below. No change there.

How, if the anchor was always on top?

> c) Tint the user (say blue) wherever he/she happens to appear in
> bridge, track lighting and draft shadows.

Yes.

Thomas