A structural fault in society owing to a design flaw in the electoral system

Conan Duke godspeed2048 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:00:38 EDT 2011

Michael,

I have been reading these threads back and forth for a few weeks now, hoping
to glean some deeper technical understanding of the Votorola Engine and how
it might possibly be integrated into other software. I was not however,
expecting to find an impromptu digression into a stream of consciousness
critique of the structural validity of electoral causality and outcome.
Thank you.

You seem to be advocating a more 'direct' form of democracy in which the
voter (the active decider) determines the outcome of policy, rather that the
voter determining the outcome of a race between 'representatives'. In my
reading of your post, you question whether it is advantageous or even
desirable to separate the interests of those being 'represented' with the
interests of those doing the representing. This strikes me as one of those
truths that is so simple, we often overlook it. A logical conclusion that is
so hidden in plain sight as to require an entire paper be written on it
simply to prove that it might be accurate.

In other words, I already agree with your conclusions from just this initial
sketch, as these are observations / lamentations are similar to my own.
Looking forward to a first draft of your paper.

All of which this brings to mind the whole purpose of my subscription to
this list in the first place:
I am currently developing of a next-generation, deep democratic, policy
engine.

Since everyone on this list is here because they've expressed an interest in
this sort of thing, I will share some of it:

I use the phrase 'policy engine' to distinguish this concept from a 'voting
engine' in that it's architecture is far more reminiscent of a 'Wiki' than
an online 'Poll'. In other words, participants are encouraged to not only
'vote' directly on policy proposals, but they are encouraged to develop,
submit and maintain their own pieces of virtual legislation. MediaWiki (or
similar engine) is the obvious choice for the 'document' portion of the
platform.

The voting portion of this the (currently being developed with the Drupal
Voting API) will utilize a unique graphical output (currently being
developed in Processing) of a hexadecimal calculator (Perl) that will
determine a user's political 'colors' on a 3-Axis system whereby the colors:
red (conservative), green (progressive) and blue (liberal) intersect /
overlap (additive color model) to form one of 3 secondary colors: cyan,
magenta and yellow (or: white, where all 3 colors overlap - see Metapolitik
Logo). Thus, only overlapping colors constitute 'consensus' and only upon
'consensus' can policy pass.

Much of this is laid out here: http://metapolitik.org

[Introduction]
[Nutshell]

...Although the bulk of the original design remains unpublished.

My plan is to develop these features 'on the fly' and to then roll them out
as they become functional.
Once there are enough core features for usability, I will start taking input
from the community as to what features and/or directions the design needs to
take.

In the meantime, critique and comment are welcome at all times.

~Conan
conan at metapolitik.org
godspeed2048 at gmail.com