replying to the list

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Sun Oct 9 10:21:05 EDT 2011

Yes, on Metagov I have Reply-To set to "This List." As with the other
setting, clicking reply-all on a client replies to both. But this
setting sets the preference for Reply to go to the list instead of the
poster.

I can see how some high-end nerds with a lot of SMTP savvy would find
this to be a "bad thing," but I think it is preferable for almost all
other users. Many people click Reply and click Send without ever
really bothering to notice who they are replying to. So if the default
is to reply to sender, this has the end result of many threads getting
taken off-list. The reply-to-list setting encourages conversations to
stay on-list. People on this list are mostly pretty tech savvy, so
that may not be an issue, but as the list grows you may notice some
lost threads, or broken ones, where one person keeps taking it off-
list and the replier keeps trying to bring it back on.

P.S. So nice to "hear" from you Thomas!