[MG] Hosting tools - was Global advisory parliament

Alexander Praetorius alex at twister11.de
Fri May 27 09:33:16 EDT 2011

> The design allows any group/community to host its own pollwiki and
> cluster of attendant servers, but we're looking here at cities, states
> and large organizations.  It's not clear why any small group of folks
> would need their own hardware.  Let them use the hosted services of
> their parent group/community.

Yes, but how will you convince cities or states to use these tools? I don't
expect it any time soon.
They might start considering such things if the software already has a good
reputation and even then, they might come up with their own developers and
start building something tailored to their needs... its politicians that
might be afraid of getting replaced by a software.
Small Groups need it, because it would make them more effective and would
help them to coordinate actions without the need of central "managers". As
soon as a group has more than maybe 15 or 20 members, some people will
become communication-hubs. Sometimes they have a formal and sometimes an
informal executive position. They can influence the communication and
dominate other opinions by using their power. If there is no trust in people
which show authoritative behavior those groups generally cannot move on with
their discussion because of community-internal organization problems. A
software would help.

And I think anyone should be able to host services for any other group or
community. Its not a good idea to make small groups wait until their parent
group... a city??? ....uses the software tools they need.
A small community could use the metagov tools to attract more people and
eventually becomes a parent group for other new groups.

> That's the design.  The current implementation isn't something anyone
> wants to run except a developer.  It's only a prototype and it's in
> constant flux.  (Not to mention only 5 people in the universe actually
> understand what we're working on, and most of them are here in this
> list.)

Granted! That's a big problem. Maybe it might be possible to create a
"firefox plugin" of the metagov tools? ..each update would be deployed
automatically. Or maybe its an option to use sourceforge? I don't know, I
guess there are many alternatives :)

> That's why I think it needs a scalable system, where a small
> community could host its own service for themselves ..or one could
> host it as a service for other people who are willing to create
> accounts.

The design allows any group/community to host its own pollwiki and
cluster of attendant servers, but we're looking here at cities, states
and large organizations.  It's not clear why any small group of folks
would need their own hardware.  Let them use the hosted services of
their parent group/community.

That's the design.  The current implementation isn't something anyone
wants to run except a developer.  It's only a prototype and it's in
constant flux.  (Not to mention only 5 people in the universe actually
understand what we're working on, and most of them are here in this
list.)

Manage subscription: