[MG] Votespace and social space visualizations

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri May 20 00:10:13 EDT 2011

Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 22:34, Michael Allan wrote:
> > I keep staring at it looking for warning signs.  But so far, all the
> > problems I see seem shallow.
>
> I find it confusing, when the circles overlap each other a lot, e.g.
> like here:
>
> http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#s=G!p!sandbox%28111f&c=DV
                                                               ^^^
(Unfortunately Firefox is uglifying the URL on us.  I'll have to find
 a fix for that.)

> If they dont overlap its simply beautiful!
>
> Maybe it would help, if the deeper circles would fade even more? Maybe
> only those parts of them, which actually have a new circle on top of
> them? Maybe not just fade out more, but leave their orange vote-numbers
> away? ...

I was thinking along the same lines.  Also of giving each radial arm
an opaque background, like the petal of a flower.  Details like these
can make a big difference.  I think we have lots of room to play with,
in that sense.  I think it's a strong design (again mostly your ideas
in it).

> ... Or maybe avoid overlapping at all? ...

Probably the overlaps are essential to the design.  My guess is that
if we do them properly, they'll add to the beauty.  The user's eye can
handle a great deal of complexity (even prefers it) provided it
arrives in a natural, sensible form.

No complexity here, because of the tiny turnout:
http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#c=DV&s=G!p!prz(b12

It looks weird.  It could be a problem.  If this design figures
prominently in our user intake strategy then we'd probably need a
solution.  But it depends entirely on the intake strategy (is there a
better word for that?).  We should probably be floating ideas on that
before coding any more of this expensive UI.  (I have a suggestion of
my own to post in a day or two.)