[MG] Clearing entry paths for new users

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Tue Mar 8 04:31:58 EST 2011

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:51, Michael Allan wrote:

> Anchor link (a) and segment links (d) take you to the bridge, exactly
> as before.  The new controls are in (b) and (c).
>

>                          (a)   ] [ +-----------+
>                                    | user page |
>                                 +--+           +--------------------
>    +-------------------------+  |
>    |                         |
>    |                         |  3    (c)
>    |                         |  v
>    |   w i k i               |
>    |                         |  |
>    |        l o g o          |  |
>    |                         |  |
>    |             i m a g e   |  |
>    |                         |  |
>    |                         |  |
>    |                         |  |
>    +-------------------------+  |
>              Xb. Xa. | Vi. Vh.  |
>    Vg. Vf. Ve. Vd. Vc. Vb. Va.  |
>                             |   |
>                            Yu.  |
>                             |   |
>                  (b)       Ca.  |
>                                ]|[   (d)
>                                ]|[
>                                ]|[
>

> The navigation controls (b) float beneath the top-left logo image.
> They are not attached to the page, but to the viewport.  See for
> example the title bar here: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/ (scroll to see
> it).

Wow, this type of controls sound promising. Would the top left logo also
stay fixed, when the page scrolls? This would be good, right? And that
the controls stay fixed, would make it really conveniant to work with
the thing.

One question: It is not, that to much functionality goes into this,
which actually belongs to the theatre? I pictured lots of the comparing
controls in the theatre, but they can be there too, right?

> The segment counter (c) is also a display switch.  Click it and the
> navigation controls (b) disappear.  Click again and the anchor link
> (a) and footprint (d) disappear, leaving only the counter itself on
> the page.  Click and the footprint reappears.  And so on.

Very good!

> What do you think?  I figure we need footprints vs. our voters and
> candidates, but not the entire forest.  (My original idea went too
> far.)  And this simplifies the controls considerably.

Diffs vs. the co-voters of my candidate e.g. will be quite important to
me too, in case I offer him my votes without voting for him yet.

>    * Xa. and Xb. are users from elsewhere in the tree or forest.
>      Normally you only see one of them, and only if the footprint is
>      vs. someone other than your voter or candidate.  But you may pin
>      any number of users up there, and they'll always be displayed
>      along with your voters.

This seems to solve it, but how can you "pin" users up there?

Thomas