[MG] Cascading agreement, money, communities and other resources in votespace

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Thu Jun 2 13:44:17 EDT 2011

C and Thomas,

I stumbled on a solution to the visualization problem.  The answer is
in the votespace map.  We already show the accumulation of agreement
in votespace, and we thought of showing the accumulation of monetary
pledges in the same way.  So why not show the accumulation of active
communities?

conseo wrote:
> ... Maybe you can add a "resources" map (for economical planning) to
> the agenda, I'll do it once my exams are over (I am still thinking
> about it, although I have little time for developing atm.) I have
> talked with Thomas about my ideas and maybe he can ellaborate on
> that as well a bit with me (the agenda and integration with the
> current ideas about social maps). I will open a different thread for
> that if you have time to discuss plans about it, Thomas.

Consensus (to explain) is a kind of resource.  To execute a plan of
social action - enact a law or elect an official - requires a
sufficient level of agreement from the people who are affected by that
action.  The necessary level is indicated roughly by the red number at
the center of each votespace map.  The participants must get close to
that, or there will be no action:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/crossforum/vote/_/3.xht

Note that agreement takes the form of votes.  The votes are the
channels and carriers (form) while agreement is the valued resource
carried (content).  We can change the content to match whatever that
valued resource happens to be.  It won't always be agreement.

Consider G/p/prz where the issue is the endowment of a prize.
http://u.zelea.com/w/G/p/prz - No agreement is required for an
endowment, only a sufficient sum of money.  So (imagine) we replace
all the red numbers with green ones and do whatever else it takes to
enable the first time viewer to realize - in about 2 seconds - "Ah, I
see!  These people are pooling money."

Now to communities: As we've discovered, the crucial resource in the
beginning is not actually agreement or money, but rather the talk
itself.  Unless the conversation can extend over a sufficient number
of communities - spread its wings and fly - it dies.  So the content
we need to show is the number of active communities over which each
branch or tree of votespace has extended itself.  We want the first
time viewer to realize, "Ah, I see!  These people are growing an
extended conversation."

What do you think?  Will it work?