[MG] Tunisia and activism in general

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon Jan 24 02:51:54 EST 2011

conseo wrote:
> I would like to try to reach interested groups in Tunesia to pull
> them in our projects and forums to help them organize
> themselves. They give a very interesting playground for our
> ideas. What do you think?

I think this is exactly the kind of thing we need to be discussing.
We have a fairly promising toolset (in prototype) but it's going
nowhere till we get it in people's hands.  I guess there are two ways
of accomplishing that (just briefly):

   1. Build it and they will come.

   2. Bring it to them.

The probability of (1) is extremely low (see ii and iii below).  That
leaves us with (2).  People aren't likely to come to the toolset, so
the toolset must go to them.  The immediate question is therefore,
"Where are these people located?"  Two things we know about this:

   i. Consensus-making is purely a communicative activity.  When you
      join a consensus-making effort, you are joining a "communication
      community".

  ii. It is exceedingly difficult to build a community from scratch
      (contra 1).

It follows that we're looking for established communities.  We're
looking for places where people are already talking to each other,
preferably with some hope of reaching consensus on issues of interest.
This leads us to the next practical question, "How do we introduce the
toolset into these communities?"

I think we have reasonable answers on the technical side of this
question (difference bridge + crossforum theatre), but we're short on
the political/social side.  I think we're especially short on
activism.  This is why I think Conseo is on the right track.

Maybe we only need 3 activists to seed a consensus-making effort:
http://u.zelea.com/w/User:Mike-ZeleaCom/Crossforum_ranging#Working_method
What do you think of that method?  It's poorly documented so I hope
you can follow the logic.  The crucial point is that consensus-making
must be seeded across multiple forums (communication communities).
That's the only way it is likely to grow (i, ii, iii).

 iii. People become attached to their communities.  They do not
      join/leave them lightly (contra 1).

Furthermore, it's doubtful the effort can be self-seeding (contra 1).
It will only take hold if people deliberately tend to it, especially
in the early, fragile stages.  It's a job for activists.

What do you think?