[MG] Summary parsing (was Re: Visualization problems for crossforum theatre)

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Jan 18 09:44:41 EST 2011

We spoke since, and I think we agreed (just for starters) to go with a
single summary per message regardless of the number of diff URLs
embedded in it.  The logical composition of a bite is then:

  * bite

      * message

          * url

          * summary
              * text
              * isTruncated

      * diff

          * url

The summary text we agreed might simply be the leading text of the
message stripped of any quoted material.  A better parsing algorithm
for this (simpler than what we spoke of) might be:

    loop
    {
        read next word of message;

        if( word.length + summary.length > 150 ) end loop;
        else summary += word;
    }

    isTrucated = not( summary.lastWord has proper sentence ending );

So forget about trying to parse for whole sentences.  Just properly
set the isTruncated flag - or maybe even scratch that, and leave it
for the client to figure out.  The simpler the better.