[MG] Mapping Participation in Drupal

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Tue Jan 18 08:01:53 EST 2011

I have to admit that I've been struggling to follow this thread. Long
posts with lots of technical detail are practically the ultimate walls
of text. :) Perhaps when the thread seems to be concluding, someone
could post a high-level, non-technical summary of some of its findings?

On Jan 17, 2011, at 10:10 AM, conseo wrote:

>> I followed up on http://unhosted.org which you might find
>> interesting.
>> Moves data processing back to the "edge" on the desktop.
>
> This is really cool, thanks for the link! kio-magnet imo still goes
> a bit
> further because you don't even need a server anymore, not even for
> storing
> JSON data, as you can store it in a BitTorrent swarm

This part blew me away. I have about seven minutes left for metagov-
related stuff this morning, so can't delve into these, but they look
spectacular.

However, am I right in understanding that this distributed hosting
approach couldn't be applied to, say, MediaWiki? The software needs to
be written to the hosting model from the ground-up, right? Or can it
be adapted (I am of course, thinking of the metagovernment.org site
atm.)

In any event, I do want to encourage anything along these lines for
all democracy software... anything that can remove single points of
failure (where one kind of failure is corruption) is always preferable.