[MG] Decorating the bite feed

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Jan 16 10:38:18 EST 2011

An update on this (some of it technical),

The decorators are now coded.  The app looks the same, but the feed is
actually coming from the server side:
http://u.zelea.com/var/deploy/crossforum/#c=DumG

This means we're ready to stream real, live data into the app, and see
it projected on the map.  It also means (this is the technical part)
that users will be able to juxtapose any feed type with any map type
and the server won't be brought to its knees keeping all the
combinations fed with data.  The decorators are fast.  They decorate
the bite stream on the fly (in mid-transmission) with whatever
additional data is required for the user's chosen map.  For example,
these bites are decorated with data for geomapping:
http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/xfDum?callback=foo&form=json&pretty=y

Now all we need is data.  Christian is quietly working on code to
scrape the mailing lists &c for consensus-making discussions, so we'll
soon be able to put a spotlight on those.  Maybe the question now is:
What else is hidden or obscure that shouldn't be?  We might be able to
put a spotlight on it, pretty fast.

More about the crossforum app:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/crossforum/
And the servlet that provides the dummy feed:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/_/javadoc/votorola/a/crossforum/dum/DummyFeedSS.html