[MG] Geomap for crossforum theatre

conseo 4consensus at web.de
Tue Jan 4 05:16:02 EST 2011

 On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 03:09:13 -0500, Michael Allan wrote:
> Here's a geomap preview: http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/crossforum/#c=DumG
> You can switch map providers with the (+) control at top right.
>
> No action yet, it isn't linked to the feed.  Maybe spotlight the
> areas
> with circles and the user locations with conventional map markers?
> Later we can do something more elegant (?)

 Ehm, could we please use foss infrastructure where ever possible? Not
 only is
 it important to get a certain level of trust on the integrity of the
 platform,
 which is certainly a problem with spying Google, but we also cannot fix
 things
 upstream if we need to. Besides that is openstreetmap slowly getting
 much more
 detailed and precise in many areas and relevant information for voting
 can
 be added/adjusted there at any time. Supporting them also strengthens
 our basis
 in general. If we need major changes, we could even host our own
 mapping server
 or create a custom data set.
 Imagining a worse case scenario where some decision is made which in
 fact
 targets Google or the US government as well, it is also not helpful if
 they can
 pull the plug off legally.

 Are there any special reasons for using Google Maps?

 Besides that it looks awesome, I am already thinking about adding a bus
 stop there ;-)

 Cheers,
 conseo