[MG] Hosting and collaborative development of crossforum theatre

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Jan 2 23:50:30 EST 2011

Ed Pastore wrote:
> Michael, it occurs to me that if you were to try to implement all of
> the suggestions made so far on this thread, you would be coding for
> quite some considerable time. Is there any way you can readily draw
> others into the effort, once the parameters are better defined?

If I follow, the app structure might be a draw.  We allow an
open-ended selection of various feed and map components (diff feed,
news feed, geomap, tag map, and so on).  The user can dial up whatever
combo of these he wants to see.  Later we'll add selectors for this,
as Thomas suggests.  Currently it's done by manipulating the URL:

  http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/crossforum/#c=DumDum
  dummy feed + dummy map

  http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/crossforum/#c=DumT
  dummy feed + triaxial poll map

   ^ switch back and forth between these two maps, and the feed should
     keep ticking away unaffected

  http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/crossforum/#c=DT
  diff feed (still in conseo's repo) + triaxial poll map

On top of that, each component is normally divided into client and
server sides.  So overall, the app is broken up into these small (but
meaningful) pieces, each of which a developer could pick up and run
with.

> If it is useful, I now have control of the metagov hosting space on
> tuxfamily.org. I haven't had time to set up anything on it just yet,
> but the whole idea behind it is that it is to be a hosting space for
> more than just one of us. If you would like to be an admin of that
> account (and if nobody on the list objects to that), then you could
> set up a development and/or collaboration environment there.

Should we host the prototype there?  It seems more neutral, a better
setting for a cross-project app.  I guess the URL would be:
http://metagov.tuxfamily.org:8080/v/crossforum/