[MG] Decorating the bite feed - coding plan

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon Jan 10 04:09:30 EST 2011

Hi Conseo,

Here's my plan for decorating the bites.  Whatever properties a
particular feed puts into its bites (userID, pollID, and so forth)
we'll ensure that it also puts in the properties needed by the
currently displayed map.  (We already spoke briefly about this.)  So
if the map is a geomap, then we'll decorate the bites with geospatial
properties; if it's an x-map, then with x-properties; and so forth.
This is for speed, of course.

We need 3 basic facilities for the first cut:

  1. A server-side bite factory that allows for the attachment of any
     number of BiteDecorators (GeoDecorator, XDecorator, etc).  We can
     easily do this, because our bites are generic hashmaps.

  2. A server-side BiteServlet that takes in generic bites and outputs
     JSON on the wire.

  3. A client-side BiteFactory that takes in JSON and spits out
     generic bites.

What do you think?  Should I code these up and test them on the
DummyFeed?  Meantime, you could focus on producing diff bites on the
server and consuming them on the client side.  The piping in between
should be entirely transparent to you.

(BTW, If any other programmer is interested, each of these facilities
 is a fairly self-contained job.  You could take one of them, if you
 wished.)