[MG] Home page redesign competition

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Feb 8 22:43:34 EST 2011

I hope to propose a more serious amendment soon.  For now, I have only
minor fixups:

  http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/D?b=4026&a=4025&aR=2687&bR=2691

  (styles have changed, please hit refresh)

Note that we now have "diff me" links in the UI (Ed log out to see).
I'm working to clear a path of entry for new users, maybe something
like this:

  1. Potential user is attracted by drafting chatter in the list and
     follows one of the embedded diff links (like above).

     He sees the diff, then he either:

       a) Follows a "diff me" link against one of two drafts (say
          Ed's), or similarly:

       b) Follows a link to Ed's draft where he sees another "diff me"
          link, and he follows that one.

  2. He is presented with a login screen and logs in.

  3. He sees a massive diff, which is Ed's entire text.

  4. He presses the patch button, which in this case is labeled
     "Create a voter draft".  He is warned that he is about to:

       a) Create a draft in the Metagov wiki, a clone of Ed's text.

       b) Cast a vote for Ed.

  5. He presses OK.

     This takes him to the new draft page.

  6. He edits the text and saves it.

  7. He presses the "diff me" link at the top of his draft.

  8. It presents him w/ a diff vs. Ed's, which amounts to the whole of
     his proposed amendment.  (The bridge will be smart enough to
     realize that he wants a diff against his candidate and not
     against himself.)

  9. He copies the diff URL from his address bar, pastes it into the
     original thread and says, "Hey what do you think of this
     amendment?"

     We tell him what we think of it.  Maybe some of us click its
     "diff me", and patch it into our drafts.  Maybe Ed does, too.

What do you think?  4b seems kind of presumptious doesn't it?  You'd
think that voting wouldn't be needed till the process scaled a little,
say to 10 or 20 participants.  But the user can't do 7/8 without some
kind of shiftable pointer to another draft.  It's a need that voting
easily fulfills.