[MG] Home page redesign competition

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Feb 4 23:19:57 EST 2011

whilo wrote:
> I am ok with it. I don't know exactly what is involved to get
> free-range drafting working, but I am open to tasks.

There were some difficulties (sorry for the long delay), but it seems
to be working now.  To try it out in the metagov wiki, we need a few
config changes.  Ed?

  1. Please verify (when you have a moment) that $wgEnableWriteAPI is
     *not* set to false in LocalSettings.php.
     http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableWriteAPI

  2. Ensure that bots are not barred from using the write API.  You
     might see something like this:

       $wgGroupPermissions['*']['writeapi'] = false;

     If so, then add this after it:

       $wgGroupPermissions['bot']['writeapi'] = true;

     The item "use of the write API" should now appear here as a right
     for bots: http://metagovernment.org/wiki/Special:ListGroupRights

  3. Then make user Vobot a 'bot':
     http://metagovernment.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AUserRights&user=Vobot

This will enable us to experiment with the tools on the homepage
drafts - differencing, patching and cherry-picking changes across
texts.  Vobot is the agent that writes the results back to the wiki.