Can our party pick your brain?

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Feb 26 11:22:39 EST 2011

Rohan Jayasekera wrote:
> Michael, it is entirely possible that I don't understand the power
> of the tools.  Perhaps they can indeed "change the game"
> sufficiently as to do an end-run around the current process without
> needing the creation of a Transparency Party that runs candidates in
> elections.  I do believe that some focus is needed to get things
> moving.  The party idea is one, but there may well be others.

We should start moving then, since you are determined.  I can always
bend your ear later.

We might start by voting up a legislative issue, or a party issue.
That would get us working together on something concrete and
practical.  All we'd need are 2 party members who care about the
issue, plus I'll help out (and I think others will too).

We'd need a mailing list.  If you don't have a preferred one, then we
could probably use Metagov's, which is pretty good.  Also, if the
party has its own wiki (MediaWiki), then we could use that for the
drafting.  Otherwise, the pollwiki is always available; and you can
export the pages later (if you wish).  That's all, I think.

> Also [you wrote earlier]: For the general public, direct democracy
> is largely unknown, and for those who have heard of it, it's an
> abstract concept rather than a clear alternative.  To succeed I
> believe it must arrive in a focused form where people can easily
> decide "yes" or "no".  A political party provides that focus.
> Furthermore, at election time almost all the attention goes to
> parties.  Hence my belief that something like the Transparency Party
> is the most likely (and perhaps only) way to achieve direct
> democracy.

Then too, the abstractions might just fall away.  If we picked the
right voting issue, it could be a hands-on education.  We'd be showing
people how to express themselves collectively *and* rationally, which
is a combination they never experienced before.  Or (more likely) just
the chance to amend a bill would be the main attraction.  How often do
you get that?  Plus it's kind of fun.

That's just one suggestion for moving forward.  Maybe there are
others.

> Also, in many/most jurisdictions there are restrictions on political
> activities by organizations other than political parties.  A party may
> turn out to be legally required.

Yes, and the TP can easily fill that role.