Can our party pick your brain?

Rohan Jayasekera 1 at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 23 19:42:37 EST 2011

> The upshot is that the party's
> voting facilities serve no purpose, and the purpose of the party
> itself is called into question.

The traditional parties will try to win back the riding in subsequent
elections, so I think the Transparency Party / un-Party will need to
maintain its party-like operations for a while.  Even after direct
democracy has taken hold in every riding, to formally eliminate the
party system will, in some countries, require changing the national
constitution, and there will also be other questions to be considered,
such as what will be the replacement for the system of ridings.

> That would entail the destruction of the party system as a side
> effect.  Here again is something that people will have trouble
> understanding at first.  Maybe the un-Party could help to lighten up
> the revelation with a little wry humour?  The irony of the situation
> seems to demand it.

Maybe, but consider this precedent: Canada already has a party, the
Bloc Québécois, whose goal is to eliminate Canada as we know it, and
while I'm sure that many Bloc fans find this amusing, those outside
the Bloc often find it offensive.  We can expect the same kind of
reaction toward a party whose goal is to eliminate parties.

> Are we still together?  Because I like this very much.

I certainly am!  I'm still as excited as I was when Kevin introduced
the Transparency Party to us.

Rohan