[MG] Setting up a discussion forum

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Tue Apr 26 08:03:08 EDT 2011

I'm not opposed to an external forum, but we do have hosting
resources. Also there are some things I'd really like to see in a
forum, such as:
- unified login with mediawiki and/or openid
- e-mail capabilities to integrate with this list or to supplant it
- simplicity but robustness

Matteo, if you can be a little patient, give me a week to see if I can
get it done. I'll try to find the time to get something set up on the
tuxfamily site.

Alternately, if you or someone else wants to be the co-admin, I think
I or Michael can get them set up on the tuxfamily site without
necessarily giving them destroy privileges. If we build the forum at /
forum, hopefully we can later just migrate the domain name without
significant trouble.

As for forum software, I have been leaning toward Vanilla, but after a
brief recent review, I suspect phorum might be more capable. Namely
one or both of these for my second point above:
http://www.phorum.org/phorum5/read.php?62,143310,143310#msg-143310
http://www.phorum.org/phorum5/read.php?62,129244,129244#msg-129244

That's all the time I have for now to evaluate, so others please
comment on possible features and/or possible software packages to meet
the feature requirements.