[MG] Votespace social map - layout stability

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Apr 19 15:40:12 EDT 2011

I made some progress, though it's not much to look at yet:
http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#c=DV&s=G!p!m00
That's just the viewport centering/clipping (which is actually kind of
difficult), and also the scoping.  In this case, it's scoped to
G/p/m00, so you see only the messages apropos the "meta-rule" issue.

Here the scope is narrowed down to Thomas and his voters.  At the
moment, this amounts to the same thing because Ed (the only other
drafter) hasn't posted any diff URLs, yet:
http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#c=DV&s=G!p!m00(ThomasvonderElbe_GmxDe

Here it's scoped down to C, who (like me) has no voters.  So just C:
http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#c=DV&s=G!p!m00(4consensus_WebDe

That's all; it's only plumbing work.  But it clears the way for the
graphics.

Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> Ok, I agree, that rank is pretty unimportant. Especially up the
> tree.  Would it be possible to have only the first circle (the one
> without center) be sorted. This is imo where rank still has some
> importance.

True, rank matters in the first circle.  Here's one possibility:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/crossforum/vote/_/1.xht
And with some more circles expanded:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/crossforum/vote/_/3.xht

So instead of sorting the candidates and rotating the whole forest on
each rank change, this would only rotate the needle-indicators.  The
length of each needle is proportional to the number of votes held.
What do you think?